Prices are for pairs
Can you hear us in the back?
Given their beginnings as commercial vehicles, it’s not surprising that Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans aren’t typically equipped with rear compartment speakers. But anyone contemplating full-time crew use or a #vanlife camper van conversion will quickly realize the inadequacy of front-only audio.
Designed for 6.5in round speakers, our Rear Door Speaker Panels will fit factory cutouts in 2007+ Mercedes Sprinter NCV3 high roof van doors. The panels are CNC-milled from substantial (16-18mm thick) wood or composite and attach via M5 rivnuts (not included).
Our speaker panels are made in three different materials, depending on availability:
Unfinished Pine: Effective, and cost-effective. Stain or paint to match your interior.
Spalted (wormy) Maple: Thanks to hungry worms and the fungus they spread, this wood has character galore. Varying amounts of birds-eye, tiger striping, and gray streaks mean that no pair are identical- but they’re all our favorites. A clear varnish really brings out the amazing texture.
Composite: An awesome 95% recycled material made of plastic bags and sawdust. No additional finishing required.
Depending on your preferences, some light sanding may be required prior to finishing.
Blemished pine panels have slightly (1/16in) offset chamfers that are slightly eccentric to their holes. We wouldn’t have noticed if we weren’t looking for it.
+ Technical Details
- Wood: ~3lb per pair
- Composite: ~5lb per pair
- 2007+ (NCV3) Mercedes Benz Sprinter high-roof vans
- 6 1/2in round speakers
- 2.25in max depth
- Rockford Fosgate P1650 recommended
- Materials Required:
- Speaker Panels
- 12x M5 button head screws (provided)
- 12x M5 rivnuts
- Your own M5 or #10 hardware may also be used- but Rivnuts are strongly suggested over nuts & washers
- 6 1/2in round speakers
- Speaker mounting hardware
- Tools Required:
- Rivnut setting tool
- Electric drill
- 1/16in drill bit
- 3mm hex key
- Blue threadlocker (Loctite 242 or equivalent)
- Use trim panel tool to remove topmost facory door trim panels
- Use Rivnut tool to set rivnuts in each of the twelve factory door panel holes (six per door)
- Check speaker fit and pilot hole alignment in each speaker panel.
- If four divots in panels align with speaker mounting holes, drill 1 1/6in pilot holes at each divot location (four per panel).
- If divots do not align, mark speaker mounting hole locations with screw tip, remove speaker from panel, and drill 1 1/6in pilot holes in those locations.
- Apply a drop of threadlocker to the end of each of the provided screws.
- Holding panel in place, start M4 screw in each rivnut
- Rivnuts may not be perfectly centered in each hole- starting with the speaker panel away from door will aid alignment
- Worst-case, it may be necessary to enlarge speaker panel holes slightly.
- Use M3 hex wrench to attach panels to doors
- Make sure that speaker wires are correctly routed from cabin though mounting hose and up outside edge of door. Padding or batting will help to prevent rattles.
- Connect speaker wires to each speaker and fasten to speaker panel using speaker hardware.